header

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Book Review!!

I know. I'm also excited. Books are fun.

Now let's get to it.

I read Robin Benway's first book, Audrey Wait!, about two years ago. And I loved it! I ran out and told everyone to read it and some did and some were forced to listen to me read it to them while driving around town. Hi Jay!
Robin's characters make me feel very unfunny. That's a compliment by the way. I can't help it. There was a time where I had a steady diet of wit and sarcasm but now with two small children at home I see the colorful and idyllic world of Oswald all day and hear the singsong voices of the Wonder Pets and nothing but sunshine and rainbows are aloud to shoot from my mouth.
So, yes. I laugh when I read Robin's books. A lot.
Like I said it's been about two years since I read Audrey Wait! and I've been loitering in the YA section of my local bookstore just waiting for another Robin Benway book to magically appear.
And just the other day there it was!

The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May and June

What a great title! Now I'd done my research so I already knew the premise and I have to say I was intrigued. Three teenage sisters whose parents are going through a divorce suddenly realize they have super powers! Holy cow! Sign me up.
Initially I have to admit I was slightly confused. Super powers are kinda a big deal right now but usually when you order such things off the menu you get a side of paranormal or at the very least a dark, brooding fantasy. Not to mention if you get yours to go they throw in a werewolf or two...
After reading Audrey Wait! I wasn't quite sure that was Robin's style.
And guess what. It's not. *big sigh of relief*

So. Anyway. This book started off just as I would expect.
~Dialogue that made me laugh out loud
~Characters that jumped off the page and hung out with me long after I'd finished the book
~And that surprise moment where I found myself tearing up
It takes a great writer to make me laugh out loud one moment and get all choked up the next.
And...AND...
Get this! She threw in some crazy tension that had me wondering, what's going to happen next??!!
So. Well done, Robin Benway. They say the second book is the most difficult one to write.
You sure did prove them wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment